British gaming company Ladbrokes recently conducted a survey about superheroes and published some shocking results: men like hot chicks and women like rich guys!
Some of the categories’ results were divided up between men and women and these were what I found most telling and amusing.
(1) First of all, men selected The Dark Knight as the Best Superhero Film Ever. Following a close second was The Dark Knight Rises. Women, on the other hand, selected The Avengers as their favorite superhero film. I think Batman, for men, represents a certain kind of wish-fulfillment fantasy in that he’s a filthy-rich, perennial bachelor with a devoted servant who gets to ride an uber-cool car and play with all kinds of cutting-edge gadgets unavailable to the rest of the world. Though there is that slightly troubling bit about bringing young lads back to the Batcave and having them dress up in colorful outfits…
Avengers must be women’s favorite for two main reasons that come to mind. One, it features the Black Widow, a kickass female character that doesn’t take crap from anyone and who also happens to be gorgeous (again, wish fulfillment). Two, it also stars the guy I’m about to mention next.
(2) Iron Man was, predictably I’d say, singled out as the male superhero women would most like to date. I mean, c’mon, is it any mystery? The guy’s rich, dashingly handsome and, unlike Batman, has an unflappable sense of humor. And you know what all those dating gurus say: make a woman laugh and you’re halfway there. Thing is, Spider-Man is also very funny. But I guess he’s just too nice and nerdy. ‘Cause you know the other thing that dating gurus say: women want nice guys as friends and bad boys with hearts of gold (like Tony Stark) as their lovers.
Also no great surprise was men’s pick for hottest date: Catwoman. Prrrr. I understand the fantasy, guys, but beware: She’d probably steal your wallets in a second and leave you stranded and feeling, um…shall we say, rather unfulfilled?
(3) Catwoman also takes away the dubious honor of being the Worst Superhero Movie Ever. The meaning should be clear. We just want to shag her, not watch her lame-ass movie.
(4) Men voted the Hulk as the Toughest Superhero while women chose Batman. Hmm, but if they think he’s so tough (and rich!) why wouldn’t they want to date him? Oh, yeah, he’s glum and has no sense of humor.
(5) 59% of people, men and women combined, prefer Marvel over DC. Sorry, DC, I think you might’ve did it to yourselves with the New 52.
(6) 75% of the total people surveyed prefer the big screen versions of superhero stories to the original comic.
To see more of the survey results, including Best Superhero Vehicle and Best Superhero Gadget visit here.[subscribe2]